Fluffy, moist, tender eggnog cupcakes, with that hint of warm spice, topped with a rich and creamy eggnog frosting spiked with rum flavoring, all finished off with a sprinkling of nutmeg.
Eggnog... you either love it or hate. Me? I LOVE IT! It is probably for the best that the grocery stores only carries it once a year. Naturally, I had to put it in a cupcake and smother it in a eggnog frosting that is sweet, creamy and what eggnog dreams are made of. It combines my two favorite things, buttercream and eggnog, all whipped up into a luscious and smooth and fluffy topping. Try not eating this stuff by the spoonful!
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cup (140g) cake flour, weighed or spooned and leveled
- 3/4 cup (144g) granulated white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick/57g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup eggnog, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon imitation rum flavor extract, optional (found by the vanilla extract and spices)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2-1 teaspoon imitation rum flavor extract, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (1/2lb) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons eggnog
CupcakesPreheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Line a cupcake pan with baking cups.
In a medium bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mix together cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt on low speed for about 20 seconds. Add butter and oil and mix for about 1 minute to coat the flour, until mixture resembles wet sand.
Whisk together eggnog with the egg, yolk, vanilla extract and rum flavor. Slowly add the wet mixture on low speed. Increase to medium speed and beat for about 1 minute until batter is smooth.
Fill cupcake liners just over 1/2 full, about 3 tablespoons of batter per cup. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. (For mini cupcakes, fill with about 1 1/2 tablespoons batter each and bake for about 8-10 minutes). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
FrostingWith an electric mixer, beat the softened butter on medium-high speed until smooth, creamy and pale in color, about 2-4 minutes. Beat in vanilla, rum flavoring, nutmeg and salt. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl.
Add the powdered sugar in batches, starting on on low and increasing the speed until fully incorporated, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl as needed. Add eggnog, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Increase to medium-high speed and beat for an additional 3-5 minutes until smooth, light and fluffy.
Frost completely cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg and a cinnamon stick, if desired.
If you like these, be sure to check out my:
Eggnog Cheesecake Pumpkin Muffins with Gingerbread Cookie Crust
Cinnamon-Sugar Gingerdoodle Cookies
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
Click here for more Holiday recipes & treats!