With St. Patty's Dy coming up, what is more perfect than mint+ chocolate?! I used my amazingly fudgy brownie recipe and topped them with some cool, creamy mint Oreo filling and finished them with a layer of rich chocolate ganache. They are seriously AMAZING!!
Mint Oreo Fudge Brownies
Yield: 16 brownies (For a smaller batch, cut recipe in half and bake in an 8x4 inch loaf pan. For a larger batch, double recipe and bake in a 9x13 inch pan)
Chocolate Chunk Fudge Brownies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/4oz.) butter, melted (browned for maximum flavor)
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup (48g) packed brown sugar
- 6oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (1 cup chocolate chips)
- 2 tablespoons (10g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (90g) flour, weighed or spooned and leveled
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
Mint Oreo Filling:
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, room temperature (sub half and half or milk if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- green food coloring
- 1/4 cup crushed Oreo cookie pieces (about 6 Oreos)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with foil or parchment paper.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. To brown the butter, continue to cook, stirring constantly, until brown specks start to appear at the bottom of the pan and butter has turned a light amber color, giving off a nutty aroma (about 5-7 minutes).
Reduce heat to low and add the sugars, chocolate, and cocoa, stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth. Remove from heat and stir for about a minute to cool mixture. Mix in the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir vigorously for about 1-2 minutes until batter becomes thick, smooth and shiny. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt, until just incorporated, followed by chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for about 35-45 minutes. An inserted toothpick will come out with moist crumbs sticking to it. Do not over bake. Cool brownies completely in the pan on a cooling rack.
With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and salt until incorporated. Add cream 1 tablespoon at a time and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until you have reached your desired consistency. Beat in vanilla and peppermint. Add a tiny bit of green food coloring until you have reached your desired shade. Fold in cookie pieces. Spread onto completely cooled brownies.
Prepare Chocolate ganache topping:
Place chocolate morsels in a small bowl, set aside. In saucepan, heat butter and cream over medium heat just until it starts to boil. Immediately pour over chocolate morsels. Let sit for a minute and gently stir until smooth. Pour over frosted brownies. Spread evenly on top. Refrigerate or let sit until ganache has set. Enjoy them chilled or bring to room temperature before serving. Cut into 12 bars, or 16- two inch squares. Store leftovers in an air tight container.
Want more minty recipes?! Click the links below and check them out!