This super simple pumpkin seed brittle is made in the microwave in under 10 minutes, instead of cooking over the stove top with a candy thermometer. It is quick, cheap, easy, and virtually fool proof. The warm cinnamon and spices make it absolutely delicious, and oh so addicting; the perfect Fall treat. I have to say, I actually prefer this version over classic peanut brittle! Give it a try and let me know which you prefer.
To add a festive touch, I used a pumpkin cookie cutter to create cute little pumpkin shaped pieces of brittle before it cooled, instead of breaking it into the traditional broken shards.
Spiced Pumpkin Seed Brittle (10 Minute Microwave Recipe)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice -OR- 1/2 t. cinnamon, 1/4 t. ginger, 1/8 t. nutmeg, 1/8 t. all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey or light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds, hulled
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and spray with non-stick spray, set aside.
Microwave sugar, spices, salt, and honey/corn syrup on High, in a large glass bowl or a 4-cup pyrex measuring cup:
- 3 1/2-4 1/4 minutes in a 700-900 Watt microwave
- 2 1/2-3 1/2 minutes in a 1000-12000 Watt microwave
- 3-4 minutes in a 700-900 Watt microwave
- 2-3 minutes in a 1000-12000 Watt microwave
Stir in butter and vanilla. Microwave until lightly golden:
- 1-2 minutes in a 700-900 Watt microwave
- 45 seconds-1 minute in a 1000-12000 Watt microwave
Press a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter into hot brittle creating as many pumpkins as you can before brittle hardens (optional). Let cool 15 minutes, or until set. Break into pieces. Package in cellophane bags for gift giving or store in an airtight container.