So I have been experimenting with some of my recipes, by substituting regular milk or cream with fun flavored coffee creamers, for a really fun twist! It is actually a really great way to add some fun flavors in to your frosting without using extracts, or to create a really rich and creamy texture.
I experimented with Coffee-mate's newest flavor, Extra Sweet & Creamy liquid creamer. Since it makes coffee nice and creamy and extra sweet, I thought it would be a great substitute to regular cream in my frosting recipe. I decided to start with a little splash of it in my classic buttercream frosting recipe... Well, let me tell you, it works magic, transforming the traditional frosting, into soft, extra creamy, billowy clouds of sweet decadence.
Extra Sweet & Creamy Buttercream Frosting
Yield: About 4 cups (enough to fill and frost an 8-9" layer cake or 24 cupcakes)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (may use butter if all butter is preferred)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, I use extra fine popcorn salt
- 4 cups (1lb) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-6 tablespoons Coffee-mate Extra Sweet & Creamy liquid creamer (or flavor of your choice)
- Flavor extracts: Add 1/4 t.- 1/2 t. flavor extract of your choice (coconut, almond, mint, etc.)
- Cappuccino: Add 2 tablespoons espresso powder/instant coffee granules
- Cookies & Cream: Add 1 cup cookie crumbs (about 12 Oreos)
- Marshmallow: Add one 7oz jar marshmallow creme/fluff
- Peanut Butter: Add 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Berry/Fruity: Add 1/3 cup seedless fruit puree or preserves of your choice (raspberry, strawberry, etc.)
- Lemon (or any citrus fruit): Add zest and juice from 1/2-1 whole lemon, lime, orange, etc.
- Cinnamon: Add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Peppermint: 1 tablespoon finely crushed peppermint candies
With an electric mixer, beat butter and shortening on medium speed until smooth. Add vanilla, salt and any flavor variations. Alternately beat in powdered sugar and cream, on low speed until smooth. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for about 3-5 minutes until light and creamy.
WATCH MY VIDEO BELOW TO LEARN HOW TO PIPE THE PERFECT CUPCAKE SWIRL & CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO ON PREPARING YOUR PIPING BAG FOR FROSTING.