Cotton candy cake layers, frosted in a cotton candy frosting and loaded with lollipops and cotton candy garnishes!
Real cotton candy is dissolved with cream to create a cotton candy syrup to infuse the buttercream frosting with, to create a sweet, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth frosting!
Frost, glaze and top with candy galore. I placed the lollipop sticks into a straw to skewer them into thewcake. faux ice cream cone
Yield: 2 layer cake
- 2 1/2 cup (280g) cake flour, weighed or spooned and leveled
- 1 3/4 cup (350g) granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (170g/1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 whole large egg + 2 yolks, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 6-10 drops food coloring of choice if desired
- 1 cup packed cotton candy, divided (optional)
- 1 cup (2 sticks/8oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (1lb) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup packed cotton candy
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (sub half and half or milk if necessary)
- 6 drops blue food coloring
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-4 tablespoons cream, half & half or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- faux ice cream cone
- assortment of candy, lollipops, etc
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease two 8" round cake pans.
In a medium bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mix together cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt on low speed for about 20 seconds. Add butter and oil and mix for about 1-2 minutes to coat the flour, until mixture resembles wet sand.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg, vanilla, and sour cream. Slowly pour in 2/3 of the wet mixture and beat on medium speed for about 1-2 minutes, until smooth. Scrape down bottom and sides of bowl. Beat in remaining wet mixture and beat for about 30 more seconds until fully incorporated. Break cotton candy into small chunks and beat in to batter until just incorporated.
Distribute the batter between the prepared cake pans. Bake 25 to 35 minutes*, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly in pans for about 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Let cool before frosting.
*Bake 35-40 minutes for two 6-inch rounds, 25-30 minutes for two 9-inch rounds, or 30-35 minutes for a 9x13-inch pan
With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until smooth and pale in color, about 2-3 minutes. On low speed, beat in vanilla and salt. Slowly beat in powdered sugar, about a half cup at a time. In a small bowl, dissolve the cotton candy by stirring it together with the cream, until it forms a liquid. Add cotton candy/cream mixture to frosting, adding a few drops of blue food coloring (reserving some frosting to color pink for faux ice cream cone). Increase speed to medium-high and beat for about 3-5 minutes until smooth, light and fluffy. Frost completely cooled cakes, .
Stir together all ingredients in a small bowl, adding liquid very slowly until desired consistency is reached. If glaze starts to thicken you can microwave it for a few seconds to thin it out again. Pour over top of cake, using a spatula to push glaze to the edge, so it drips down. Top with faux ice cream cone and candy. Place lollipop sticks into a straw and skewer into cake.