The frosting tastes just like the center of an Oreo, which for me is like heaven. When I was a kid I used to scrape off the cream filling and pile it up as tall as I could between 2 cookies, I couldn't get enough. Piled high on a fudgy chocolate cupcake and a mini Oreo cookie on top, these cupcakes are a favorite of kids and adults alike!
Cookies & Cream Cupcakes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules (may use 1/2 hot coffee instead)
- 6 tablespoons (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder, dutch processed
- 1 cup (192g) granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (105g) all-purpose flour, weighed or spooned and leveled
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Oreo Cookie Frosting:
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick/2oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (1/2lb) powdered sugar (confectioners' sugar), sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (sub half and half or milk if necessary)
- 6 Oreos, finely crushed (pulsed in a food processor or crushed in a plastic bag)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with baking cups.
Dissolve the instant coffee and cocoa powder into the boiling water and set aside. With an electric mixer, beat together the sugar and oil on medium speed for about 1-2 minutes. Add the egg, mixing well until smooth and pale in color. Beat in the vanilla and sour cream.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture on low speed, until incorporated. In a steady stream, beat in the cocoa mixture until fully combine. Scrape down bottom and sides of bowl. Beat for about 20-30 seconds until smooth and thin.
Distribute the batter between the baking cups, filling about 3/4 full. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. (About 10 minutes for mini cupcakes). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
With an electric mixer, beat the softened butter and shortening on medium-high speed until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, starting on on low and increasing to medium, until fully incorporated, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl as needed. Add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Scrape down bottom and sides of bowl. Increase to medium-high speed and beat for an additional 3-5 minutes until smooth, light and fluffy. Fold in cookie crumbs.
Frost cooled cupcakes. Top with a cookie piece or mini Oreo cookie.