Tender, yet crisp tart apples, coated in a sweet cinnamon-ey goodness, all topped off with a warm, crunchy oat streusel topping... READY IN UNDER 5 MINUTES... AND IT DOESN'T COME WITH THE GUILT OF A SLAB OF APPLE PIE!
I love making this when I get a late night sweets craving, because it comes together in minutes and I don't feel because it is made with fruit and a lot less sugar, butter and flour than most other dessert options.
Then stir together the oat topping. I like to use instant oats that cook in 1-minute, as they break down much quicker for a perfect topping consistency. Sometimes I even use a packet of instant oatmeal (I like the lower sugar variety) for a more simple alternative and omit the sugar and salt in the topping.
...and pour it right on top of the fruit.
Now, it's ready to bake! You can do this in the microwave or the toaster oven.
I like to microwave mine for 2-3 minutes for a really quick dessert in no time! It may take longer or shorter, depending on the wattage of your microwave, so keep checking on it, until a fork slides nicely into the apples, so you know they are nice and tender but crisp. You don't want to over cook it, to the point where the apples have become mushy.
When the top has slightly browned and the inside is nice and tender, it is ready.
Let it cool down a little bit and then dig in! You can even serve it with a little low-fat whipped cream or dollop of ice cream!
Yield: 1 individual crisps (recipe doubles easily)
- 1 medium green apple, peeled, cored and diced into cubes*
- 1 tablespoon sugar OR 1 teaspoon sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon flour (all-purpose, whole wheat flour or gluten free flour)
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1-2 tablespoons raisins or chopped nuts (optional)
*May substitute apple with a pear or peach
Oat Streusel Topping:
- 1 uncooked (35g-45g) packet of instant oatmeal (about 1/3 cup), the "lower sugar" cinnamon spice or maple brown sugar work great
- 1 tablespoon flour (all-purpose, whole wheat flour or gluten free flour)
- 1 tablespoon softened butter, margarine or buttery spread
Mix all filling ingredients in a small bowl, until fruit is coated. Pour into a 7-8oz. microwave safe ramekin or small dish.
Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl until mixture is coarse and crumbly and press on top of apples.
Microwave for 2-3 minutes until apples are crisp-tender and topping is golden. (May also bake in toaster oven at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes)